A survival food kit is a collection of food and water that you would need to survive in an emergency situation. It’s important to have a survival food kit in case of a natural disaster or other emergency that cuts off your access to food and water. But how do you create a survival food kit? And what should you include in it? In this article, we’ll answer these questions and give you a practical guide to creating the best survival food kit for your family.
Why You Need a Survival Food Kit
There are two main reasons to have a survival food kit: To make sure you always have immediate access to food and water, and to make sure you don’t panic in an emergency. In the first case, in an emergency you want to be sure that you are able to access food and water, and not find yourself having to take additional risks in order to access these. In the second case, an emergency situation can be incredibly stressful and scary – having a survival food kit will help you stay calm and collected to get you through the situation in full knowledge that your main survival requirements are met. Whether you are facing an emergency such as nuclear fall-out or local gas leak, or natural disasters such as flooding, hurricanes, wildfires or earthquakes – survival food kits can play a key role in allowing you to escape quickly.
What to Include in Your Survival Food Kit
The exact items you should include in your survival food kit will depend on your family’s eating and drinking habits. However, there are some items that should be in every survival food kit. These include:
- Rice – is a staple food in many countries and is easy to cook. You can store it for a long time and it’s packed with nutrients.
- Beans – are another staple food that you can store for a long time. They’re high in protein and are easy to cook.
- Pasta – is another food that you can store for a long time and is easy to cook. It’s a good source of carbs and easy to add to any dish.
- Oatmeal – is a good source of carbs and can be eaten on its own or added to other dishes. It’s easy to cook and can be flavoured in many different ways.
- Dried fruits and vegetables – are good for you and easy to store for long periods of time. They’re portable and easy to add to rice or pasta dishes.
- Freeze Dried Meals – these are compact, lightweight, easy to prepare and can have shelf lives of over 5 years making them absolutely perfect for including in a survival food kit.
- Coffee – is easy to store and will be a great drink to wake you up when you don’t have access to electricity. It can be made in a coffee pot over an open fire.
- Chocolate – is a great food to have in your survival food kit especially if you have children. It’s rich in calories and easy to eat on the move.
- Canned vegetables – are easy to add to rice, pasta, or oatmeal dishes and will last a long time in your survival food kit.
- Canned fruit – is high in fibre and vitamins. It’s easy to add to other dishes and takes up little room in your survival food kit. Canned fruit will last a long time in your survival food kit.
- Canned meats – are easy to add to other dishes and will last a long time in your survival food kit. They’re high in protein and can be eaten on their own or added to other dishes.
- Water – It’s obvious, but water is essential for your survival. Make sure you have enough water to last you for a couple of weeks.
How to Store Your Survival Food Kit
Your survival food kit should be stored in a cool, dry place away from bugs and rodents. Make sure your survival food kit is easy to open and that you have enough room to add new food to it as needed. You might also want to consider getting a survival food kit that’s already pre-packed. These kits are pre-packaged by experts and can be easily found online. These kits are convenient because the thinking has already been carried out and they come with a list of recommended food and water amounts.
You want everything in your survival food kit to last as long as possible so try to purchase foods with very long shelf lives and package accordingly. Make sure you check the expiration dates on all of your survival food items and consume and replace anything that’s about to expire. As a general rule you should update your survival food kit every six months.
A survival food kit can be lifesaving in an emergency situation. Make sure you have enough food and water to last you a few weeks and that it’s easy to store and rotate. Remember to update your survival food kit every six months and you’ll be prepared no matter what happens.